Experimental Film Society (EFS) is delighted to announce an exciting new partnership with Filmbase, Dublin. EFS will programme and present a bimonthly series of experimental cinema events at Filmbase consisting of screenings and performances by both EFS members and guest artists. The first of these, taking place this Friday, November 27th, not only launches this new series but also marks the 50th EFS event since it first began programming screenings in 2011. To celebrate this double occasion Michael Higgins and Cillian Roche will be bringing the raw power of their pop-up expanded cinema project Open Night Cinema from the post-industrial margins that spawned it to the city centre for one night only. This will be followed by a drinks reception enriched by the experimental sounds of Cork-based DJ duo Glocke & Aaaa (Dave Murphy and frequent EFS collaborator Vicky Langan).
Tickets €7 at the door.
Filmbase, Curved Street, Temple Bar Dublin 2.
Full event details here.
Experimental Film Society is an independent, not-for-profit entity specializing in avant-garde, independent and no/low budget filmmaking. It was founded in 2000 by Rouzbeh Rashidi. It unites works by a group of filmmakers scattered across the globe, whose films are distinguished by an uncompromising devotion to personal, experimental cinema. Over the past few years, it has established itself as a notable presence in Irish alternative filmmaking.
This new partnership with Filmbase caps a busy and eventful year for EFS.
- A series of five events at Dublin’s Temple Bar Gallery + Studios that included the premieres of the feature films Polar Nights (Dean Kavanagh) and At One Fell Swoop (Michael Higgins) and live performances by Esperanza Collado and Atoosa Pour Hosseini.
- A high-profile series of screenings and performances in Tehran that culminated in a sold-out screening at the Cinematheque of the Tehran Museum of Contemporary Art. Following on from this, a full-length publication (in Farsi) will appear in 2016.
- The premiere of Rouzbeh Rashidi’s feature Ten Years in the Sun at Dublin International Film Festival.
- The premiere of Maximilian Le Cain’s feature Cloud of Skin at the 60th Cork Film Festival.
- A screening of Michael Higgins’s At One Fell Swoop at the Festival des Cinémas Différents (Paris).
- Several international presentations of Esperanza Collado’s performances at such events as Spectral Presence, an expanded cinema event in Ghent that also included such artists as Malcolm Le Grice, Lis Rhodes and Sally Golding, and Le Film et Son Double curated by Erik Bullot in Paris and also featuring Roland Sabatier and Rosa Barba.
- Open Night Cinema, a project by Michael Higgins and Cillian Roche that saw a series of pop-up cinema/performance events take place in empty post-industrial spaces in Dublin throughout the year.
- An EFS (Rashidi, Kavanagh, Le Cain, Pour Hosseini) residency at Lichtenberg Studios, Berlin that launched shooting for Homo Sapiens Project 200, a collaborative film project by Rashidi, Kavanagh, Le Cain and Higgins that will be completed in 2016.
- The launch of the online journal EFS Publications, edited by Rashidi, Kavanagh and Le Cain.
With an exciting slate of events and projects already lined up for 2016, we look forward to an equally productive year ahead. Please join us at Filmbase on the 27th to find out what all the fuss is about!