05 Jul 2022
Master Class at Berlin Art Institute
29th August 2022 – 4th September 2022, Berlin Art Institute, Berlin, Germany
Master Class ‘Experimental & Personal Filmmaking’ is a one-week intensive, immersive program that exposes you to alternative film and video history, artist practice, and methods. In addition, it provides you with the knowledge to begin making your own experimental media.
Through viewings, lectures, discussion and reading, students will survey how filmmakers and artists working in film, video, and digital media have experimented with the moving image to push the boundaries of the medium and their perception of the world around them. The master class will consider how essential films and filmmakers explored film and video’s material and conceptual possibilities to reshape our notion of what film can be. Looking closely at the images in these works, students will listen closely to how sound design has played a role in the impact of these creations. Analysis of these pieces concerning form, content, and context will help students understand how experimental filmmaking has produced lyrical, idiosyncratic, and aesthetically radical work. It will also provide a stimulating foundation for creating their own experimental work.
This course concentrates and nurtures the new importance and relevance of the personal experimental moving image in the pandemic/post-pandemic moment – the moving image as a personalised ‘memory’ and ‘perception’, subject to ongoing reordering and updating.
Benefits, Methods and Topics of Teaching:
- Participants will develop their ability and methodological skills in expressing themselves through sensory and audio-visual artistic approaches.
- Monitoring the students on a technical level regarding capturing-device equipment, optics, editing techniques, and lighting techniques. Reference materials (films, essays, books, web links) are also available. Students will also have the opportunity to collectively share their thoughts and concerns as creators and open up discussions about their projects.
- Participants will become knowledgeable with many critical dialogues relating to the production and distribution of contemporary experimental cinema. They will also have the opportunity to incorporate these ideas into their work through practical tasks, thereby developing their artistic practice.
- The course will also provide opportunities for exclusive access to materials from a series of internationally-celebrated film artists currently working under the banner of the Experimental Film Society: experimentalfilmsociety.com.
- Most importantly, each student will make and take a short film as an artistic souvenir of this course, which will prove very useful in their future creative audio-visual practice.